I spent much of this past weekend trying to come up with a new story idea. I wasn’t tying for anything that would win me an award or even be publishable anywhere but in my blog. I just wanted a story that could hold a reader’s interest for 500 words or so.
I looked through a spiral notebook that I’ve used to jot down stuff that pops into my head when I was at work or some other place where I couldn’t take an idea and run with it. I thought there would be an absolute gem in there somewhere since I have all this untapped genius that has been sitting there waiting to get out for almost half a century.
Alas, there were no gems, and not even what would rate a cubic zirconium. This is what I found instead:
- What the Retard Saw (murder-mystery title)
- He had sleepy creepy Baldwin eyes. (character description)
- “That’s just God’s way of telling you your faith doesn’t mean shit to him.” (Advice to the unfortunate)
- Watching stump fucking on “Darfur’s Got Talent” (Pithy satire of mass entertainment)
- Women are like onion rings. If you batter them, they won’t make you cry. (Pearl of misogynist wisdom)
Not even my standards are that low.
I ended up spending most of Sunday morning staring at the ceiling in my bedroom and brainstorming. I had a few premises with potential but nothing concrete. Finally, I came up with something I could use. Unfortunately, it not the kind of idea where the story writes itself. To produce narrative that doesn’t completely suck, I’m going to have to work with this one.
I should have something knocked out by Wednesday. If I don’t, expect another filler entry like this one.